Areas: West Iceland, South Iceland
Explore the enchanting regions of South and West Iceland to the pace of waterfalls, glaciers, and hot springs on this 6 days / 5 nights tour. Visit all the highlights of the South Coast in their winter coat, before heading to Snæfellsnes Peninsula and its countless natural wonders. In the evening, gaze at the northern lights and enjoy the countryside charm from our selected accommodations. Available from 1 October to 30 April.
Day 1 South Iceland
Pick up your rental car at Keflavík airport upon arrival. Fresh off the plane (depending on your arrival time), unwind in the relaxing waters of the Blue Lagoon Geothermal Spa, located just a short distance from Keflavík Airport. Head towards the South Coast with a stop at the quaint fishing towns Stokkseyri and Eyrarbakki, before visiting Hveragerði town, whose fumaroles and steam vents can be seen from kilometres away rising from the snowy grounds. Embark on an epic horseback riding tour at Eldhestar or Sólhestar, across endless lava fields covered with snow, volcanoes, mountains, and natural hot springs.
Accommodation in the Selfoss/Hella area.
Day 2 The South Coast
Wake up to the sight of a winter wonderland and hit the Golden Circle Route, taking you to three sites of intense beauty: Þingvellir National Park, Geysir Hot Spring area and its relentless geyser Strokkur, and Gullfoss Waterfall. Continue towards two of Iceland’s most legendary waterfalls, Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss, marvelously adorned with icicles at this time of the year. Walk along the scenic Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach, surrounded by tall basalt columns and impressive sea stacks, with Dyrhólaey majestic arch visible in the distance.
Accommodation in the Vík/Kirkjubæjarklaustur area.
Day 3 Vatnajökull National Park
Continue to Skaftafell Reserve, part of Vatnajökull National Park and enter a world of striking contrasts, shaped by glaciers, volcanoes and erosion. Hike to Svartifoss Waterfall, whose geometrical landscape contrasts with the perfectly smooth snow around. Marvel at the icebergs breaking away from the large glacier tongue Breiðarmerkurjökull into Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon. Walk between shimmering stranded icebergs at the aptly named Diamond Beach.
Accommodation in the Skógafoss/Vík area.
Day 4 Borgarfjörður
Discover the pearls of West Iceland today! Explore Borgarfjörður, where sagas give places a special feeling before heading to Reykholt, home to a cultural centre dedicated to medieval studies, as well as a charming church and a scenic open-air geothermal pool, Snorralaug (not suitable for bathing though). Admire the deep blue waters of Hraunfossar and Barnafoss Waterfalls. Visit Deildartunguhver, Europe’s highest flowing hot spring, which feeds the Geothermal Baths and Spa Krauma nearby.
Accommodation in the Borgarnes area.
Day 5 Snæfellsnes
Start the day with a morning visit to Vatnshellir Lava Cave and follow the path of lava. Explore the numerous attractions of Snæfellsnes Peninsula, from the photogenic Búðir church and columnar basalt formations at Arnarstapi, to Skarðsvík golden sand beach and the majestic Snæfellsjökull Glacier, made famous by Jules Verne’s novel ‘Journey to the Center of the Earth’. Soak in the atmosphere of the picturesque fishing villages of Hellisandur and Grundarfjörður, with Mount Kirkjufell in the background.
Accommodation in the Borgarnes area.
Day 6 Reykjavík Area
Spend the day exploring Iceland’s vibrant capital city, Reykjavík, rich in museums and artsy corners, cosy cafés and outdoor geothermal pools. A great base to go on a northern lights adventure or explore Iceland’s thriving culinary scene! Climb the stairs up to the top of Hallgrímskirkja, an architectural masterpiece referring to the country’s basalt columns. From the viewing platform, get a 360° view over the city’s colourful roofs and surrounding mountains range.
• Accommodation for 5 nights in the countryside, including breakfast
• Rental car for 6 days, with unlimited mileage and CDW insurance
• Pick up/Drop off fee for the rental car at Keflavík International Airport
• Two authorized drivers
• E-Itinerary with the tour map, location points, and pictures for you to view before you arrive.
• Driver Guide tablet mapping and navigating your personalized journey and highlights of surrounding areas. Including a GPS Navigation system, recommendations along the way, Wi-Fi, helpful information, a messenger system to stay in touch with us, our Driver Guide will instantly become your best travel mate
• Free Wi-Fi Hotspot through tablet
• 24/7 emergency phone line service
• Taxes and service fee
• Admission to the Vatnshellir Cave (45 minutes guided tour) – min age 5 year
• Admission to the Lava Centre (brings volcanoes and earthquakes to life)
- See the best of Iceland’s southern shore: waterfalls, glaciers, black sand beaches
- Be mesmerized by Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon
- Get the shot at Kirkjufell Mountain
- Visit the largest volcano and earthquake exhibition in Iceland at LAVA Centre
- Explore an 8000-year-old lava cave
- Witness the magical northern lights if you are lucky!
- Treat yourself with a bath in the Blue Lagoon
- Go horseback riding in the Icelandic countryside
- Hop on an exhilarating snowmobile trip on Mýrdalsjökull Glacier
- Soak in the warm waters of Krauma Geothermal Baths